Ready to take a practice exam?
These are the most recently added study guides by users just like you.
Questions most recently added
- During the discharge teaching for a client with COPD. The nurse evaluates the clientâ€™s understanding and determines that the client does not need further instructions when the client states which of the following?
- I do not need to limit my activities
- I should limit intake of gas forming foods.*
- These medications will eventually cure me
- I will only visit my doctor when I have complications
- The client couple is planning intracytoplasmic sperm injection, followed by intrauterine embryo transfer. Which of the following statements indicates that the nurse’s teaching was effective?
- "His sperm swim too fast for me to become pregnant."
- "My eggs have thick walls and don’t let his sperm in."
- "Any extra embryos can be frozen for implantation later."
- "We will have to wait several weeks to see if any eggs get fertilized."
- Which of the following statements would the nurse use to best describe a very low kilocalorie diet (VLCD) to a client?
- "This diet is low in calories and high in protein and must used under close medical supervision."
- "This is a long-term treatment measure that will assist obese people who can't lose weight."
- "The VLCD consists of solid food items that are pureed to facilitate digestion and absorption."
- "A VLCD contains very little protein."
- A regular diet has been resumed for a client following a major traumatic injury. The nurse selects from the diet menu which of the following meals that would be most appropriate for the client?
- Vegetable lasagna, bibb lettuce with dressing, white roll, and a slice of pound cake
- Chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli, and fresh orange slices
- Fried codfish fillet, macaroni and cheese, peas, and flavored gelatin
- Roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn, and ice cream
- As part of the clinical experience, a student nurse is required to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting and write a report about what was learned. What information would the student include in the report about the 12-step program?
- Once an individual learns how to be sober, he or she can graduate from attending meetings.
- Once an individual has achieved sobriety, he or she continues to be at risk for relapse into drinking.
- Acceptance of being an alcoholic will prevent urges to drink, since it represents giving up one's denial.
- A "Higher Power" will protect individuals if they feel like using.
- The nurse who is preparing to draw up a dose of vaccine notices that a vial of DTaP vaccine on the countertop does not have a date recorded for when it was opened. Which of the following actions should the nurse take?
- Use the vaccine but explain to the caregiver that the site may be quite tender.
- Discard the vaccine according to agency’s policy.
- Contact the supervisor because this is reportable to the state Board of Public Health.
- Use the vaccine just for the day and then discard it.
- A client with anemia of chronic disease (ACD) is referred for nutritional counseling regarding dietary intake. Which of the following methods would be the most helpful for the nurse to implement in order to meet nutritional goals?
- Have the client continue to take Epogen/Procrit as prescribed because that will help to maintain adequate nutritional stores.
- Have the client consume more calories in order to meet increased nutritional demands.
- Evaluate client's dietary pattern for nutritional adequacy.
- Instruct the client on adequate sources of iron in the diet.
- Which of the following artificial sweeteners would the nurse recommend for a client who has phenylketonuria (PKU)?
- Sweet ‘n’ Low™
- The nurse is providing care for a young athlete who presents with muscle strain of the back that occurred during a tennis match. Client teaching about preventing such injuries in the future should include which of the following?
- Drinking 2 liters of Gatorade before every sports activity
- Routine stretching and warm-up exercises before every sports activity
- Wearing a back support brace
- Drinking a high-protein shake before activity
- The client has come to the clinic to discuss use of a cervical cap for contraception. If determined by the nurse’s assessment, which of the following would be a contraindication to use of the cervical cap?
- History of blood clots
- Age greater than 35 years
- Abnormal Pap smear 6 months ago
- Elevated liver enzymes