Ready to take a practice exam?
These are the most recently added study guides by users just like you.
Questions most recently added
- The sister of a 76-year-old client with increasing intracranial pressure asks why the nurse uses the extra oxygen when suctioning. Which of the following statements is most correct?
- "Your brother seems to pink-up when we give him extra air."
- "The extra oxygen helps relieve the bradykinesia by decreasing the carbon dioxide."
- "The extra oxygen helps relieve the pressure in his brain by decreasing the carbon dioxide."
- "Your brother seems less congested when we give him extra air."
- A child is exposed to a playmate that contracted chickenpox. Two days later the child is admitted to the hospital for another problem. The nurse is informed of the exposure on admission. How long after the exposure should the child be watched for signs of upper respiratory illness?
- Five to 10 days
- 14 to 21 days
- 21 to 25 days
- One month
- A child with Hirschsprung disease is being discharged after Soave endorectal pull-through procedure for colostomy closure. Which of these measures should the nurse include in the home care plan?
- Refer the parents to an enterostomal therapist for ostomy care
- Teach parents how to perform weekly rectal irrigations
- Teach parents signs and symptoms of infection
- Teach parents PCA pain-control methods
- The nurse would report to the physician which of the following abnormal laboratory values for a 58-year-old client newly admitted to the nursing unit with fever and diarrhea? Select all that apply.
- White blood cell count 12,260/mm<sup>3</sup>
- Sodium 142 mEq/L
- Potassium 3.9 mEq/L
- Blood urea nitrogen 38 mg/dL
- Serum creatinine 0.9 mg/dL
- The client has been diagnosed with neurosyphilis. The nurse knows that teaching has been effective when the client states:
- "I must have gotten infected when I ate at a Caribbean restaurant last winter."
- "My wife doesn't have to worry about being tested because she's postmenopausal."
- "I'll need to make sure that my grandson doesn't drink from the same cup that I use."
- "The treatment for this will be ongoing and based on what my lab results show.
- The nurse is doing discharge teaching for a client who has cirrhosis and ascites. Which of the following foods used by the client as snacks should the nurse instruct the client to avoid?
- Whole wheat bread
- Potato chips
- Hard candy
- An 86-year-old client will be undergoing a surgical procedure. Which of the following changes would the nurse make in the informed consent process for this elderly client?
- Providing adequate time for the client to process the information
- Encouraging the family members to make the decision for the client
- Encouraging the client to sign immediately before the client forgets the purpose of the surgery
- Providing the client with reading material about the surgery and the postoperative instructions
- Which of the following statements by the client with migraine headaches would indicate to the nurse that she has understood client teaching regarding migraine medication?
- "I will be keeping a diary of my headaches, so that I can see if there is a pattern."
- "I will be able to stop my exercise program, since it has not helped my headaches."
- "I will take my headache medication every four hours."
- "I will never be able to drive again, due to my headaches."
- A client is admitted for surgery. During the preoperative assessment, the nurse learns the client is taking warfarin sodium (Coumadin). When planning postoperative care for this client, the nurse would include monitoring for which of the following?
- Delirium tremens
- Respiratory depression
- Bleeding or oozing at the surgical wound
- A renal transplant recipient enjoys a grapefruit for breakfast. He is taking cyclosporine (Sandimmune). The nurse should instruct him that ingestion of grapefruit would have which of the following effects?
- Cause an increase in edema and renal insufficiency.
- Increase the serum level of cyclosporine.
- Assist in relieving his constipation.
- Increase renal metabolism of cyclosporine.